Friday, October 10, 2008

Week 5 -- God is in the Details




Reached my max for today on fotothing so here are a few "details" that will be posted later.
Unfortunately, I wasn't able to go the "digital" route with this assignment due to two obstacles: the scanner I thought I could use creatively only scans paper for printing and the minimum "macro" distance of my digital camera is 3 feet away. I had these shots from my film camera, a Canon EOS Rebel T2, printed and placed onto Photo CD's which I loaded into Picasa2.
I shot them about a month ago on Ender's Island in Mystic, CT. Whether it's peace, serenity, or just plain silence you seek, this oasis delivers. And with its beautiful gardens and butterflies during migrating season (August to September I believe), St. Edmund's Retreat is the ideal place to photograph to your hearts content!
When I realized how bright the sun appears on the tops of the flowers, I warmified them some. I tried to adjust the shadows, but it always resulted in the whole shot going dark--no room for subtlety in Picasa2 without destroying the whole shot.
Jerry, if you would like authentic digital photographs, I will be happy to shoot more this weekend--I just won't be able to get too close. but I could try and crop any results.
Let me know what you think.
Thanks!
-Melanie

2 comments:

Jerry said...

These are nice images... but any scanner will scan anything... just open the lid and throw your flower on the glass... preview the glass and select with the selection tool just the area you want to scan ...couldn't be easier.

Jenna said...

I love the first picture of the butterfly. Tried to capture a butterfly myself, ended up chasing it across an entire field. Great job-