Sunday, October 5, 2008

Portrait Assignment...

Here are the main points I'd like you to concentrate on for this assignment... It is all about window light falling across the face....

-We have seen an infinite amount of flash in the face, smiley pictures... So now it's time to look a bit more closely....

I took this during an in class demonstration with a 3mp camera, handheld...  I turned off the overhead lights and just used window light.  Note, there is just soft, indirect light coming through the window... not direct sunlight as that would be too harsh.

-I zoomed in a bit with the camera zoom so that her features would be in good proportion... if you use a wide angle or zoom out, then her features would be distorted...

-The window is on her left elbow... so I leaned into the window with my right shoulder... avoiding looking into the light and getting a sihoulette instead of a portrait.

-I allowed time for any nervousness or silliness to subside... just let the person calm down and let their eyes open.

-I held the camera vertically.  Notice where I placed the head?  (Upper left corner and even cropped it with the edge of the frame...)

So... model your work on this... take your time... take lost of shots and show us your best work!


No comments: